Support for Learners

Whatever your aspirations, you’ll be supported every step of the way.

The College has a number of teams dedicated to helping you with your personal and academic progress – from choosing the right programme and applying, until the day you get your qualification and progress towards your chosen career. We want to ensure that your time at college is a positive experience.

    Additional Learner Support

    If you have additional learning needs, a disability or simply need a little extra help with your studies, our Additional Learning Support Team are here for you. They can offer a wide range of support including:

    • In-class and exam assistance
    • Support at break times during the college day
    • In-class and exam assistance
    • Support for hearing and visually impaired learners
    • Additional support for those with autism or dyslexia
    • In-class and exam assistance
    • Mobility support and practical assistance
    • Social and emotional support
    • English, maths and assignment workshops
    • Assistive technology
    • Termly progress and success reviews

    If you have a question regarding Additional Learning Support get in touch by emailing [email protected] so that we can provide advice based on your individual needs.

    Learner Services Team

    The team offer a positive wellbeing service to enhance your college journey. They can support with transitioning to college, personal development, mental health and relationship advice – but ultimately help you to achieve success during your time at college. Their work encourages healthy, confident personal development alongside academic achievement.

    The team can help you with:

    • Mental health and wellbeing support
    • One-to-one and group support sessions
    • Personal development
    • Relationship advice
    • Safeguarding advice and support

    They are also responsible for:

    • Learner Ambassador programme
    • Learner Representative programme
    • Enrichment events and activities
    • Social spaces
    • Student Union

    Mental Wellbeing

    Your mental health and wellbeing are vitally important to your time at college and your personal development. As a college we’re committed to helping learners access the most appropriate mental health support and information.

    We have various initiatives in place including the Withinu Playbook: an online resource that’ll help you to build and maintain your mental wellbeing by sending you weekly, actionable tips that you can incorporate into your daily life. The Playbook will also signpost you to areas where we can support you in more individual ways, should you feel you need it.

    Careers Service

    Our dedicated Careers Team can support you with all aspects of careers advice and guidance, to make sure you’re informed on all progression opportunities.

    The team can assist you with everything from choosing the right programme and general advice to pathways beyond college, including applying for jobs. The team offers one-to-one Careers Clinics, which are open to current and prospective learners.

    Industry Placements

    An industry placement is an essential part of your time at college and a fantastic way to improve your employability skills, which will be extremely valuable in helping you to secure a successful career.

    Our friendly Industry Placement Team are here to provide help and support in securing you a quality placement opportunity, whilst you’re at college, to provide a real insight into the world of work.

    Academic Support

    We offer a range of services and support to ensure you keep your studies on track, maximise your potential and you achieve your goals.


    Group and one-to-one tutorials are a valuable part of your time at college. They give you quality time with your tutor to set academic targets and tailor your learning. You’ll also have the chance to explore, in more depth, subject themes and topics, to increase your understanding and knowledge.

    Maths and English

    All learners who have not yet achieved a grade C / 4 in their GCSE maths and English will be supported to achieve these qualifications whilst at college.

    Individualised Learning Plan (ILP)

    To track and review your progress and achievement during your time at college you’ll have access to an ILP on our system, ProPortal system. This tool outs you at the centre of your learning and gives you control over your achievements.

    Study Tips

    Here are some handy tips to help you enhance your studies.

    • Create a study plan that will work for you and get into a routine
    • When studying at home, take regular breaks and work on a desk or table
    • Use note taking techniques that work for you
    • If you don’t understand something, ask your Tutor
    • Practice good listening skills in classes and avoid distractions
    • When reading, read small sections at a time
    • Create your own programme specific dictionary of regularly used words and phrases
    • Always proofread your work and ask others to take a look at it too

    Financial Support

    Helping you to invest in your future

    Continuing your education journey is one of the most worthwhile investments you’ll ever make, and the great news is there is more financial support available than ever before to support your journey.

    If you’re aged 16-18 and on a full-time programme you don’t need to pay for your course and you may be entitled to financial support for course related costs. If you’re aged 19+ you may need to pay for your programme, but support is available.

    Course Fees and Remission

    What financial support is available from the College?

    • If you are aged 16-18 years old, programmes are free
    • If you are aged 19 + you do not have to pay for Entry or Level 1 programmes, or GSCE English and maths, if you have not already achieved GCSE grade A-C / 7-4
    • If you are aged 19 + and are in receipt of unemployment benefits/Universal credits, you do not usually have to pay for Level 1 and 2 programmes
    • If you are aged 19+ and studying a qualifying Level 3 or 4 programmes, you can apply for an Advanced Learning loan from the government to cover the cost of your fees.

    Many of our learners receive support towards their travel, study and childcare expenses via our Learner Support Fund

    The financial support you can receive depends on your age, the level of programme you will be studying and your family/personal income. Some support is accessed through the College and some you will need to apply to other organisations for.

    Payment of fees

    If you are required to pay tuition fees, we will inform you and invoice you at the point you enrol for the programme.

    We have a number of ways you can pay your fees

    • 100% Settlement – This can be made by cash or cheque or credit/debit card
    • Instalments – We can arrange for you to pay over 3 instalments
    • Employer Sponsorship – If your employer has agreed to pay your fees and you would like us to invoice them, then download the Employer Fee Payment Contract or request one from Student Services. You need to get this completed by an authorised representative of your company and you need to bring it along when you enrol.

    Learner Support Fund

    Coventry College recognises that our college support funds have an important role to play in removing barriers for learners accessing and completing further education courses. It is the aim of Coventry College to use the funds to make the maximum impact on recruitment, attendance, retention and achievement rates.

    Apply online now

    What are the funds and am I eligible?

    • 16-18 Vulnerable Bursary (16-18 VB) – Learners aged 16-18 on 31st August 2023, who are in care or a care leaver, or receive DLA and either ESA OR Universal Credits in their own name, or receive Income Support/Universal Credit because they are financially supporting themselves and enrolled on an FE course.
    • 16-18 Discretionary Bursary (16-18 DB) – Learners aged 16-18 on 31st August 2023, whose household income is below £26,000 and enrolled on an FE course.
    • 19+ Learner Support Fund (19+ LSF) – Learners aged 19+ on 31st August 2023 who have not taken out an Advanced Learner Loan, whose income is below £26,000 and enrolled on an FE course.
    • Advanced Learner Loan Bursary (ALLB) – Learners aged 19+ on 31st August 2023, have been approved for an Advanced Learner Loan, whose income is below £30,000 and enrolled on an FE course.

    Who is not eligible for the funds?

    • Learners who have not enrolled onto a programme of study at Coventry College.
    • If the learner is eligible but it is more appropriate for them to receive support through learning support for the same purpose.
    • Learners on Job Centre Plus (JCP) Work Programmes or similar schemes are not eligible for childcare or travel support if these expenses are covered by JCP.
    • Learners who have been released on temporary licence (ROTL).
    • Waged Apprentices or provision with learning aims which are wholly identified as funded by other sources.
    • Learners studying on Higher Education programmes.
    • Learners enrolled on Non-Funded courses.
    • Learners who are paying tuition fees for the course themselves.

    Will the funds cover my living costs?

    No. All bursary payments are intended to support course-related costs only and should not be used for living expenses.

    When can I apply for the funds?

    You can apply for your funding after you have enrolled for your course. Please apply as early as possible.

    Am I guaranteed to receive funding?

    No. The amount of money we receive from the Government is limited, therefore we cannot guarantee funding.

    How do I apply?

    You can make an application by completing an online form. This application link can also be found on the College's Sharepoint. Please complete the form as accurately as you can, incomplete applications won’t be approved until we have received all the necessary information.

    Apply online now

    What evidence do I need to provide?

    Discretion will be applied where appropriate with each case being considered on an individual basis. In order to assess financial need, proof of household income is required in the form of:

    • 2 most recent wage slips if in employment.
    • DWP Benefits notice, or entitlement letter, or most recent bank statement.
    • Online Universal Credit account showing amount received in the last month.
    • Learners who are self-employed or part of a household where someone is self-employed will be required to provide a recent copy of certified accounts for the business or a recent Working Tax Credit Assessment.
    • Learners aged 16-18 living independently or who are estranged from their parents/guardians will be assessed on their individual gross income. 16-18-year olds who live with their parents or guardian will be assessed on the total gross household income.
    • Learners aged 19 and over who live with parents or partners will be assessed on the total gross household income.
    • Children who are looked after will require a letter from Social Services to evidence their status in order to apply for the vulnerable bursary.
    • Your bank details – Only if we need to make any payments to you.
    • If you receive NASS; your ARC card and a recent Post Office receipt with your Aspen Card.

    Households that are in employment and in receipt of benefits will need to provide evidence of both.

    What might I receive if I am eligible?

    16-18 VB16-18 DB19+ LSFALLB
    Course materials
    Non-mandatory, course related trips
    Travel Costs
    College meals
    Childcare costs
    Tuition fees
    Weekly payments

    How will I receive my funding if I am approved?

    Please refer to your college email as information will be sent there when your application is assessed.

    Course materialsSingle paymentInternal Transfer
    Non-mandatory, course related tripsUpon approvalInternal Transfer
    Bus Pass
    Bus Tickets
    Petrol Costs
    Car Park Costs
    Code sent through
    Bank Transfer
    Bank Transfer
    College mealsDailyPayment on College ID Card
    Childcare costsMonthlyPaid to Provider
    Tuition feesUpon approvalInternal Transfer to Finance
    Weekly paymentsWeeklyBank Transfer/Cash payment
    LaptopUpon approvalOn loan

    Will I receive a travel allowance?

    Depending on your eligibility, the travel allowance you receive will be a contribution, dependent on your age and distance from the College.

    We calculate distance by using the walking route on Google Maps from the college post code (CV1 5DG) to your home post code, as recorded on our system. The grid below details the distance you must live to receive help towards your travel costs, depending on which fund you’re eligible for.

    Exceptions will be made for those learners who have to travel to the Alan Higgs Centre as part of their course.

    FundDistance from College
    16-18 VB1 mile or more
    16-18 DB1 mile or more
    19+ LSF1.5 mile miles or more
    ALLB1.5 miles or more

    When you complete your application form, if you select that you would like help towards your travel funding you will be asked how you will be travelling to college. Using this information, we will select the appropriate method for supplying you with your travel funding, depending on your eligibility. As detailed below:

    • Full-time Learners (3 or more days) travelling by bus and living within CV1-CV6, Bedworth or Nuneaton will receive a yearly bus pass.
    • Part-time Learners (1 or 2 days) travelling by bus and living within CV1-CV6, Bedworth or Nuneaton will receive day-savers.
    • Learners living in CV7 and beyond (except for Bedworth or Nuneaton), will receive a monthly instalment in line with the West Midlands monthly (outside of area) costs by BACS payment. Those learners who only attend 1 or 2 days will receive a reduced rate.
    • Those travelling by train will receive a contribution towards their travel costs via a BACS payment. These will be on a case-by-case basis, the learner will have to provide a return TRAIN ticket and their monthly contribution will be based on this. The maximum contribution per month will be £125.
    • Those travelling by car will receive a contribution towards their travel costs via a BACS payment as detailed in the grid below. Learners travelling by car will also receive a termly contribution towards parking in the college car park.
    Age on 31st August16-1819+
    Under 1 Mile 1 - 5 Miles5+ MilesUnder 1.5 Miles1.5 - 5 Miles5+ Miles
    1-2 DaysNil £15.00£20.00Nil£15.00£20.00
    3+ DaysNil£25.00£35.00Nil£25.00£35.00

    The form of payment you will receive will be outlined in your funding approval email.

    If I need a laptop to help with coursework, how do I receive one?

    We have a limited number of laptops which we can loan to our students. You have to be on one of our eligible funds to be able to claim it.

    Learners must complete an application form, which can be collected in Learner Services, a check on acceptable attendance and an assessment of hardship is made by the Learner Funding Team. Learners are required to the return the laptop at the end of each academic year. If a learner is on a 2-year course they must reapply for the laptop fund at the start of the next academic year.

    I need help with some kit for my course, does the college provide this?

    Learners approved for funding will have the costs of the materials needed for their course paid for by the college. These funds will be provided directly to the curriculum department who will make the necessary purchases on behalf of the learner. Once you have received your approval email you will need to speak to your curriculum department to arrange your kit.

    Can I get help with childcare funding?

    Yes. If you are aged below 20 you need to apply to Care to Learn

    For learners aged 20 or older, the childcare funding you may receive will be a contribution towards your childcare fees, based on the time you are at college. We will not be able to fund childcare fees outside of your college hours. Childcare payments will be made directly to your childcare provider, a month in arrears. The college will pay a maximum of:

    • £30 per session (am/pm) or a total of £60 for a full day per child
    • £7.50 per session for before or after school clubs

    Up to a maximum of £300 per week – regardless of the number of children.

    The college will not be responsible for any additional fees incurred over the maximum of £300 and this will be the learners’ responsibility to cover. For further details of the childcare funding please refer to the Childcare Pack you will be given when you apply.

    Please note: if you wish to apply for childcare, you will not receive any support towards your tuition fees. You will need to decide if you wish to claim Childcare OR Tuition Fees as the college is unable to support learners for both funds. If you choose childcare, this will only be paid after you have made a payment towards your tuition fees, if applicable.

    If my application is approved for the Vulnerable Bursary, what will I receive?

    If you are approved for the 16-18 Vulnerable Bursary you will be eligible for up to £1200 per year. The amount you are eligible for is dependent on how quickly you complete your application, the length of your course and the mode of attendance. We will calculate this in the following way:

    Term 1 £1200
    Term 2 - first half £800
    Term 2 - second half £600
    Term 3 - first half £400
    Term 3 - second half £200

    From your allocation we will pay for all your essential course costs, (these will be made “in kind”, transferring money on your behalf to the relevant college department). Also from your allocation we will contribute towards your travel costs, if required, this will be in the form of an annual bus pass. The remainder of your allocation will be paid weekly, directly into your bank account. However, this is entirely dependent on your attendance and behaviour at college and should this be unsatisfactory for any particular week, then your payment(s) may be withheld.

    How will I know the outcome of my funding application?

    You will receive an email outlining the outcome of your funding application once it has been assessed. This can take up to 3 weeks.

    Where can I get further information?

    Due to the volume of applications, during the months of August and September, we may be unable to discuss applications or answer questions about financial support over the phone. We therefore, advise you to speak to the Learner Funding Team or email [email protected]

    Can I appeal my funding decision?

    Yes. If you disagree with a decision regarding your application, please complete the Learner Funding Appeal Form. The form can be found on SharePoint or a hard copy can be collected from Learner Services. Complete and return the form to the Learner Funding Team and attach any supporting evidence. You will receive a decision within 10 days of the form being handed in.

    Advanced Learner Loans

    What is an Advanced Learner Loan?

    Advanced Learner Loans give individuals access to financial support for tuition costs similar to that available in Higher Education and are administered by Student Finance England.

    Applying for an Advanced Learner Loan

    Apply for the Advanced Learner Loan at


    • You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to help with the costs of a programme at college or training provider in England
    • Loan eligibility doesn’t depend on your income and there are no credit checks
    • It’s best to check if you’re eligible before you apply for an Advanced Learner Loan
    • Different funding is available if you want to study in Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales


    Whether you qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan depends on your:

    • Programme
    • College or training provider
    • Age
    • Nationality or residency status
    • You must be 19 or older on the first day of your course

    Your course must be:

    • A Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 qualification, e.g. BTEC Level 3 OR Level 4 Diploma
    • At an approved college or training provider in England

    You can check with Learner Services to see if your programme is eligible.

    What you’ll get

    How much you get depends on:

    • The type of course
    • Your course fees
    • The maximum loan available for your course

    The minimum loan you can get is £300 and is paid directly to your college or training provider.

    You don’t have to borrow the full cost of your tuition costs if you don’t want to – you can pay for some of it yourself.

    Number of loans you can get

    You can apply for up to 4 loans and you can get more than one at the same time.

    You can apply for another loan to take the same level of a programme, e.g. the same level qualification in History if you’ve already had a loan for the same level in Maths.

    You can get 3 more loans for non A Level programmes either before or after your course of A Levels.

    You can only apply once for an Access to Higher Education course.

    Your nationality or residency status

    In most cases, all of the following must apply. You must:

    • Be living in the UK on the first day of your course
    • Be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (this means there are no restrictions on how long you can stay) have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

    If you have settled status because you’re a victim of domestic violence, you do not need to have lived in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years.

    You may also qualify if you’re:

    • A UK national, or someone with settled status, but you live in the European Economic Area (EEA)
    • An EU national or a family member of one
    • Not a UK national but you’ve lived in the UK for at least 20 years (or at least half of your life)
    • A refugee or a relative of one
    • A migrant worker
    • The child of a Swiss national
    • The child of a Turkish worker
    • Under humanitarian protection or a relative of someone who has been granted it
    • A serving member of the UK armed forces (or their spouse, civil partner or a dependent parent or child living with them) doing a distance learning course from outside the UK that started on or after 1 August 2017
    • Someone granted ‘Calais leave’ to remain or a child of someone granted ‘Calais leave’ to remain – if your course starts on or after 1 August 2020 and you’ve lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of your cours

    Student finance for EU, Swiss, Norwegian, Icelandic or Liechtenstein nationals

    You must have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to get student finance.

    You need to have started living in the UK before 31 December 2020 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. If you’re coming to the UK from 1 January 2021, you may need to apply for a visa to study in the UK.

    Irish citizens do not need to apply for a visa or to the EU Settlement Scheme. They can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if they wish to – for example, to apply on behalf of a child.

    How to apply

    1. Check the programme you wish to do qualifies for the loan
    2. You can apply for the loan after you have enrolled for your programme
    3. Ask for the ‘Learning and funding information letter’ at enrolment – you will need this letter to apply for the loan. It contains the details about your programme
    4. To apply online – you’ll need to register first. You will be given a ‘Customer Reference number’ when you register – keep this safe as you will need this every time you get in touch with Student Finance England
    5. You can apply by post if you can’t apply online
    6. You’ll get a letter or email confirming your loan – usually within 2 weeks if you apply online providing you have given all the information required in the application (postal applications take longer)

    What you need to know

    You can’t apply until you get a ‘Learning and Funding information letter’ from your college or training provider.

    You can apply for a loan without a National Insurance number but you must have one before the loan can be paid.

    Apply by post

    If you can’t apply online, apply by post – you will need to download the paper application. Complete the application and send it in post to the address given on the form.

    Proof of identity

    If you’re a UK national, include your UK passport details in your application as proof of identity. If you forget, use the ‘UK passport details form’. (Including these details in the application will avoid any delays with the process).

    If you do not have a UK passport (or it has expired), send your original birth or adoption certificate to Student Finance England.

    If you need to contact Student Finance England, always include your name, address and customer reference number which you will have been given when you first registered. This is an 11-digit number. You can find it on letters or emails you had from Student Finance England.

    If you’re from an EU country, send your EU passport or identity card the first time you apply.

    Supporting information

    Use the Evidence Return Form if you need to send extra information to support your application, e.g. proof of residency status.


    You will have to start paying your loan back when both of the following apply:

    • You have finished your programme
    • You start earning £25,000 a year, £2,083 a month, or £480 a week (subject to change, please check the Advanced Learner Loan website for the latest information)

    Changes to an application

    Once your application has been approved you can log in to your account to make any change online.

    Bursary Fund

    You may apply to get money from the Loan Bursary Fund after you’ve received a letter approving your Advanced Learner Loan.

    The money can help pay for things like:

    • Travel
    • Programme materials and equipment
    • Childcare

    Speak to Learner Services for information about how to apply.

    Childcare Funding

    Childcare funding depends on your age, whether you are under 20 or 20 and over.

    Under 20

    If you are under 20 you apply to the national Care to Learn scheme, and you can get up to £180 per week towards childcare costs, including deposit and registration fees.

    For further details of the scheme and to apply online visit or phone the Care to Learn helpline on 0800 121 8989

    For help in finding a childcare provider, you can visit the Coventry Family Information Directory.

    If you live outside Coventry visit your own local authorities Family Information Service.

    20 and over

    For childcare funding, if you are aged 20 and over you will need to apply to the college Learner Support Fund. You can find more information about this in the section above.

    Higher Education Funding

    Thinking of studying for a Higher Education qualification?

    You can apply for loans to cover your tuition fees and help towards your living costs. The two main types of finance available are a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan, and there are other grants available too.

    Tuition Fee Loan

    As a full-time student, you are entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250 each year to cover your fees (this doesn’t depend on your household income), you won’t have to pay this back until you’re earning over £25,000 a year.

    The good news is that Coventry College’s tuition fees are between £5,255 and £6,750 per year.

    Part time students can apply for a tuition fee loan of up to £6,935.


    • Your course must be in the UK and be a HND, HNC a Foundation Degree or a First Degree
    • It must be your first higher education qualification
    • You can only apply if you’re a UK national or have 'settled status'
    • You normally live in England
    • You’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course


    You won’t start paying your loan back until you’ve finished your Higher Education course and your income is more than £25,000 per year.

    Support with living costs

    Maintenance Loan

    As a full-time student you can claim the Maintenance Loan to help with your living costs. The grid below shows how much you the maximum you can claim and the amount you receive is means tested on your household income.

    Full time studentAcademic year 23/24
    Living at homeUp to £8,400
    Living away from home, outside LondonUp to £9,978
    Living away from home, inside LondonUp to £13,022
    You spend a year of a UK course studying abroadUp £11,427
    Please note that From 25 March 2016 non-UK EU students must have lived in the UK for 5 years before starting their HE course to be eligible for a Maintenance Loan.

    Other Grants

    Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

    DSAs are available to students who have extra costs because of a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. DSAs don’t depend on household income. How much you get depends entirely on your circumstances. DSAs don’t have to be paid back.

    Childcare Grant

    The Childcare Grant helps with up to 85% of your childcare costs if you have dependent children under 15 (under 17 if the child has special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare. You can get up to £188.90 a week for one child or up to £323.85 a week for 2 or more children, depending on your household income. This doesn’t have to be paid back.

    Parents’ Learning Allowance

    Parents’ Learning Allowance is to help with course-related costs if you have dependent children. You can get between £50 and up to £1,951 a year depending on your income and the income of your dependents. This doesn’t normally have to be paid back.

    Adult Dependents’ Grant

    Adult Dependents’ Grant can help you if you have an adult who depends on you financially. You can get up to £3,354 a year depending on your income and the income of your dependents. This doesn’t have to be paid back.

    If you need any further information on Higher Education funding and to apply, please visit

    For information on loan repayments visit

    Careers Service

    Our Careers Service team can support you with all aspects of careers advice and guidance, to make sure you’re informed on all progression opportunities.

    Get in touch