Level 3 Technical Certificate in Health & Social Care
Are you looking to break into the Care Sector?
This course may be for you if you want to be a develop your knowledge within the caring industry or NHS.
It is also suitable for anyone looking to progress to further education at Level 4 and above.
It is also suitable if you wish to progress to Higher Education and are studying the Certificate as part of a wider programme of study.
Completion of this qualification is achieved through classroom based learning and supported by placement in a real work environment.
All the units within this qualification are vocationally based.
Completion of this qualification will equip you with knowledge, understanding and skills across a range of key subject areas, for example:
- The role of the health and social care practitioner in meeting individuals’ needs through inclusive practice
- Theories of human growth and development
- The role and responsibilities of the health and social care practitioner in relation to safeguarding individuals
- The role and responsibilities of the health and social care practitioner in relation to infection prevention and control
- Functions of national and local health and social care provision
- Identifying and planning for professional development needs. This qualification requires the use of techniques for evaluation, analysis and reflection, and these study skills will benefit you if you choose to progress to Further or Higher Education
You will be required to undertake structured placement in a real work environment to support your learning and develop knowledge and skills relevant to the qualification. There is a minimum requirement of 75 placement hours.
This qualification does not provide occupational competence or a licence to practise but will provide you with a broad range of knowledge, understanding and skills to support progression into a wide range of supervised job roles in the health and social care sector at Level 3.
Progression from this course is varied and can provide a pathway into the following qualifications and job opportunities:
- Care Support Workers in adult residential settings
- Healthcare Assistants in Community, Primary Care and Acute Health Environments
- Care Support Workers in Domiciliary Services, Supported Living or Day Services
- Community-Based Support Workers (this list is not exhaustive)
You can also progress to further education in a related field of study at Level 4 and above. The underpinning knowledge and skills within the Certificate supports progression to other work-based qualifications including the Level 4 Diploma in Adult Care (England) which could prepare you for supervisory level job roles within the health and social care sector.
This qualification also allows progression to Higher Education when taking the Certificate as part of a wider programme of study.
The qualification provides transferrable skills, as well as research and study skills, which will prepare learners for higher level studies.
GCSE grade 4 English
GCSE Grade 4 maths (desired)
This course is free If you live in the West Midlands Combined Authority area. To be eligible for this funding you must be 19+ years old and live in the West Midlands, on a low wage below £18,135 or unemployed.
Making your application
We will check your application to see if you meet the standard entry requirements for the course. If you do, you’ll receive an invitation via email to attend an interview with a Curriculum Tutor.
Fees and funding
If you are aged 16-18 and applying for a full-time programme, then you will not have to pay for your course. If you are aged 19+ then there may be a fee for your course.
From entry-level qualifications, through to degree-level and specialist professional courses there’s something here for students with little or no formal education right up to career high-flyers. Expect a vibrant environment where you can meet people from different backgrounds and cultures.
Need help choosing the right career path? You’ll be given a series of activities related to a work environment. Your job is to slide the scale to the left or right depending on how much you like or dislike the given activity. You will receive recommendations based on your selections.