Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy
The Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy is a very popular course and gives you the knowledge and skills required to provide sports massage therapy to a range of clients who have dysfunctional tissue, without acute/post-acute injuries or underlying pathological conditions. It is worth 16 CPD points. The course is recognised Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) and the General Council for Massage Therapies (GCMT).
You will be studying key areas, including:
- To understand the anatomy and physiology required to be able to apply sports massage
- To be able to carry out a range of assessments.
- To be able to collect information relating to the clients current condition and status (including the identification of conditions that would be inappropriate for treatment by someone at this level of qualification)
- To be able to distinguish between acute injury and soft tissue dysfunction
- To be able to recognise when to defer treatment or when to refer to a more qualified massage or healthcare professional.
- To be able to select appropriate massage techniques for a range of clients.
- To be able to apply sports massage techniques safely and effectively, understanding the potential effects.
The course is offered using a blended learning approach where you will be expected to undertake at least 6 weeks of home study prior to attending your study week. Each Monday there will be a webinar with an experienced tutor to cover the key points of the units within the course. During the course you will be expected to work with a number of clients (these may be a peer) undertaking a range of assessments, a client consultation, sports massage and post-treatment advice.
Once enrolled on the course you will receive all the learning materials comprising of a full colour manual.
There are no entry requirements however there is an element of communication involved (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) You should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 3. Performing sports massage is a physical activity and you will need to be fit enough to carry this out.
The course involves a variety of assessments which you will undertake either as home study or during attendance at college for the practical workshop week.
- Portfolio of Evidence
- Practical Demonstration/Assignment
- Multiply Choice Theory Paper
- Progression Route
Successful achievement of this qualification will give you a licence to practise as a sports massage therapist and enables them to access the massage register regulated by the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC).
Learners may also wish to progress on to:
The Active IQ Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage (Soft Tissue Therapy). Alternatively, you may broaden your knowledge and skills by progressing onto qualifications in fitness instructing.
8th March 2021
- March 2021: 8th, 15th, 22nd & 29th
- April 2021: 19th & 26th
- May 2021: 3rd, 10th & 17th
Assessments are ongoing during course of attendance
Ongoing during course attendance
There are no entry requirements however there is an element of communication involved (discussing, presenting, reading and writing). You should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 3. Performing sports massage is a physical activity and you will need to be fit enough to carry this out.
The fee for this course is £800.
Need help choosing the right career path? You’ll be given a series of activities related to a work environment. Your job is to slide the scale to the left or right depending on how much you like or dislike the given activity. You will receive recommendations based on your selections.
Fees and funding
If you are aged 16-18 and applying for a full-time programme, then you will not have to pay for your course. If you are aged 19+ then there may be a fee for your course.
From entry-level qualifications, through to degree-level and specialist professional courses there’s something here for students with little or no formal education right up to career high-flyers. Expect a vibrant environment where you can meet people from different backgrounds and cultures.