Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Welding
A Level 3 Apprenticeship in Welding is designed for those who are fully competent in manual welding using at least one arc process in all welding positions and who want to develop the knowledge and skills already possessed. It can be completed by staff already in the industry or a new apprentice.
Subjects you may cover include:
- Produce good quality welds in pipe and/or plate using three welding process/material type combinations (TIG, PAW, MMA, MIG/MAG, FCAW) and (Carbon and Low Alloy Steel, High Alloy Ferritic/Martensitic Steel, Austenitic Stainless Steel, Nickel and Nickel Alloys, Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys) covering all welding positions (Downhand, Horizontal, Vertical, Overhead, Inclined)
- Attain a qualification in accordance with one of the following standards: ISO 9606 / ASME IX / AWS D1.1, determined by the employer. N.B. These are regarded as licences to practice in welding
- Achieve a quality of work to meet international standards for dimensional, surface inspection (Visual, Magnetic Particle and Dye Penetrant Inspection) and volumetric inspection (Radiography, Ultrasonics)
- Position, assemble, prepare and check the welding equipment
- Receive, handle and maintain consumables
- Prepare, check and protect materials and work area ready for welding
- Check weld preparation and assembly prior to welding and accept for production
- Complete progressive and final checks on the finished weld prior to release for formal inspection and report into the production control system
- Ensure that health and safety requirements are fully accounted for in all the above
After this course, you will gain a Level 3 Welding qualification. You can then progress onto NVQ Level 4 Welding.
College attendance will be required on block release. You will receive regular workplace visits and you will sit a number of exams during the length of your programme. You will be required to create a portfolio of evidence as well as end point assessment.
This Apprenticeship requires grades C’s or above in Maths and English. Level 2 Welding.
Length of study: 3 years
Start month: Anytime
Study campus: Coventry College
Course level: Level 3
If you can’t find the information you’re looking for or to ask a question, please contact us
Making your application
We will check your application to see if you meet the standard entry requirements for the course. If you do, you’ll receive an invitation via email to attend an interview with a Curriculum Tutor.
Need help choosing the right career path? You’ll be given a series of activities related to a work environment. Your job is to slide the scale to the left or right depending on how much you like or dislike the given activity. You will receive recommendations based on your selections.
College open event
17 January 2019 17:00 - 19:30
Our open events are a great opportunity for you and your parents/guardians to see our amazing facilities,
and chat to staff and students about particular courses and college life in general.