Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV)
A Level 3 Apprenticeship in Heavy Goods Vehicle is designed for those who wish to pursue a career within the HGV industry. It can be completed by staff already in the industry or a new apprentice.
Subjects you may cover include:
- The fundamentals of HV technologies e.g. HV chassis design, engine, fuels, transmissions, electrical (12/24v), air-conditioning, hydraulic and air braking, air suspension systems etc.
- The types and associated characteristics of HV and their configurations and applications.
- Diagnosing principles and logical problem solving techniques related to HV.
- Sufficient H&S knowledge and environmental awareness to carry out the work safely.
- Operators “O” Licence requirements relating to HVs.
- How to service, inspect and maintain vehicles and trailers to the expected standards and the importance of safety inspection and maintenance schedules to meet Operator’s (O) licence and legal obligations.
- Customer expectations and implications of work carried out.
- The need to be reliable, flexible, diligent and good timekeeper.
- How the business works from an operational perspective and demonstrate commercial and financial awareness in the HV industry.
- Complex problem solving techniques.
- The requirements of providing roadside assistance.
- Carry out the basic tasks with tools and equipment common to all procedures involving basic mechanical and electrical procedures related to HV.
- The ability to keep updated with emerging new technologies within the HV industry.
- Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and efficient workshop and adhere to the company and legislative processes.
- Access specific and related HV technical information appropriately.
- The ability to service, inspect and maintain HVs and trailers to meet company, Driver and vehicle standards agency (DVSA) and manufacturers’ standards.
- Use a range of diagnostic and electrical measuring equipment to identify faults and underlying causes on HV’s.
- Successfully inspect and prepare vehicles and trailers to meet DVSA standards prescribed in the tester’s manual.
- Carry out final quality checks before handover to the customer without supervision.
- Apply advanced diagnostic principles and logical/problem solving techniques and regimes.
- Maintain records to company and operators’ licence obligations and regulation.
- To be able to communicate effectively in both oral and written mediums both internally and with customers on a range of topics that will support, HV inspection and diagnosing techniques.
At the end of the course, you will gain an NVQ Level 3 Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician qualification. You can then progress onto a Level 4 Engineering qualification or Level 5 CMI Management and Leadership.
Attendance will either be via day release or block release dependent upon location. The course will include written exams, professional discussions, observations and end point assessment.
You will be required to sit Functional Skills Level 2 English and maths if you do not have Grade 4 (C) or above.
Grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths.
Need help choosing the right career path? You’ll be given a series of activities related to a work environment. Your job is to slide the scale to the left or right depending on how much you like or dislike the given activity. You will receive recommendations based on your selections.
College open event
Our Open Events are a chance for you to come and see what Coventry College is all about!
You’ll have the opportunity to talk to course tutors, have a go at some taster activities and explore our fantastic facilities.