Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Bus & Coach Engineering Maintenance (PSV)
A Level 3 Apprenticeship in Bus and Coach Engineering is designed for those who wish to pursue a career within the public service vehicle industry and who have a particular interest in buses. It can be completed by staff already in the industry or a new apprentice.
Subjects you may cover include:
- How to inspect, diagnose and record defects to the applicable standard
- Diagnostic principles based on logical, analytical interpretation leading to solving problems
- Emerging bus and coach technologies and the impact they will have on the knowledge and skills technicians will require in the future
- Current Health and Safety requirements and workshop practices
- How to carry out high quality road worthiness inspections specific to their trade
- How the business works from an operational perspective and where their role fits within the business and how they contribute to the success of the organisation
- Customer expectations delivering a safe, clean, reliable service
- The requirements of attending and assessing roadside incidents
- Carry out the foundation tasks common to all procedures involving basic mechanical and electrical and coachbuilder procedures including: the safe use of hand tools and workshop equipment; safe use of power tools and equipment; the use of mechanical and electronic measuring equipment; test equipment and gauges; basic workshop practices and procedures
- Inspect and prepare a vehicle to the required company and DVSA standards to successfully pass the elements of mandated, pre-arranged vehicle tests specific to their trade
- Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and efficient workshop and adhere to company and legislative processes
- Use current and emerging technology to access specific relevant information held within engineering manuals, drawings and electronic resources.
- Carry out planned preventative maintenance and repairs within the chosen trade
- Remove repair/replace components in line with manufacturers and company procedures
- Investigate defects reported by drivers and identify the root cause and eliminate recurring defects, relevant to the chosen trade
- Maintain records to company and Operators licence obligations and regulations
At the end of the course, you will gain a Level 3 Bus and Coach Engineering Technician qualification. You can then progress onto a Level 4 Engineering qualification or Level 5 CMI Management and Leadership.
College attendance will be required on block release. You will receive regular workplace visits and you will sit a number of exams during the length of your programme. You will be required to create a portfolio of evidence including end point assessment and you will be required to sit functional skill Level 2 Maths and English if you do not have grades C or above.
For a list of our latest Apprenticeship vacancies please visit here.
Grades D or above in maths and English.
Need help choosing the right career path? You’ll be given a series of activities related to a work environment. Your job is to slide the scale to the left or right depending on how much you like or dislike the given activity. You will receive recommendations based on your selections.
College open event
Our Open Events are a chance for you to come and see what Coventry College is all about!
You’ll have the opportunity to talk to course tutors, have a go at some taster activities and explore our fantastic facilities.