Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship in Welding
A Level 2 Apprenticeship in Welding is designed for those who wish to pursue a career within the steelworks industry and who have a particular interest in welding. It can be completed by staff already in the industry or a new apprentice.
Subjects you may cover include:
- Produce good quality welds using two welding process/material type combinations (TIG, MMA, MIG/MAG, FCAW) and (Carbon and Low Alloy steel, High Alloy Ferritic/Martensitic Steel, Austenitic Stainless Steel, Nickel and Nickel Alloys, Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys) in two welding positions (Downhand, Horizontal, Vertical, Overhead)
- Attain a qualification in accordance with one of the following standards: ISO 9606 / ASME IX / BS4872 / AWS D1.1, determined by the employer. N.B. These qualifications are regarded as licences to practice in welding.
- Achieve a quality of work to meet international standards for dimensional and surface inspection (Visual, Magnetic Particle Inspection and Dye Penetrant Inspection)
- Position, prepare and check the welding equipment
- Receive, handle and maintain consumables
- Prepare, check and protect materials and work area ready for welding
- Complete and check the finished weld ready for inspection and report into the production control system
- Ensure that health and safety requirements are fully accounted for in all the above
At the end of the course, you will gain a Level 2 Welding qualification. You can then progress onto NVQ Level 3 Welding.
College attendance will be required on day or block release. You will receive regular workplace visits and you will sit a number of exams during the length of your programme. You will be required to create a portfolio of evidence as well as end point assessment. You will also be required to sit functional skill Level 2 Maths and English if you do not have grades C or above.
For a list of our latest Apprenticeship vacancies please visit here.
This Apprenticeship requires grades D or above in Maths and English.
Length of study: 18 Months
Start month: Anytime
Study campus: Coventry College
Course level: Level 2
If you can’t find the information you’re looking for or to ask a question, please contact us
Making your application
We will check your application to see if you meet the standard entry requirements for the course. If you do, you’ll receive an invitation via email to attend an interview with a Curriculum Tutor.
Need help choosing the right career path? You’ll be given a series of activities related to a work environment. Your job is to slide the scale to the left or right depending on how much you like or dislike the given activity. You will receive recommendations based on your selections.
College open event
17 January 2019 17:00 - 19:30
Our open events are a great opportunity for you and your parents/guardians to see our amazing facilities,
and chat to staff and students about particular courses and college life in general.