Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship in Plumbing and Heating
The NVQ Level 2 Plumbing and Heating qualification is designed for anyone who wants to become a Plumber or Domestic Heating Engineer. It provides all the basic domestic heating and plumbing training you need to start work in the industry.
This course supports the following job roles:
- Plumbing & Heating Engineer
- Maintenance Operative for large organisations
- Bathroom/Kitchen Installer
You will gain the following qualification:
- NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating
During the programme you will understand and carry out safe working practices in building services engineering, apply domestic hot and cold water system installation and maintenance, domestic above ground drainage system installation and maintenance techniques and install and maintain domestic wet central heating systems.
The qualification comprises of 5 mandatory units and 1 optional unit.
You must complete these units:
Understand and carry out:
- Safe working practices in building services engineering
- Site preparations, and pipework fabrication techniques for domestic plumbing and heating systems
Understand and apply:
- Scientific principles within mechanical services engineering
- Domestic cold water system installation and maintenance techniques
- Domestic hot water system installation and maintenance techniques
- Domestic central heating system installation and maintenance techniques
- Domestic rainwater system installation and maintenance techniques
- Domestic above ground drainage system installation and maintenance techniques
- Environmental protection measures within building services engineering
You may also complete:
- Understand how to communicate with others within building services engineering
- Install and maintain domestic plumbing and heating systems
In addition to completing and achieving the knowledge based qualifications you will prepare a portfolio of evidence, attend the College one day per week and receive regular workplace assessments in order to assess competency and during the length of the course sit a number of exams including Functional Level 2 English and maths if you do not have grades 4 (C in the old grade structure).
Individual employers will set the selection criteria but typically, you will need grades 4 or above (C or above
in the old grade structure) in English and maths.
Length of study: 2 years
Study campus: Coventry College
Course level: Level 2
If you can’t find the information you’re looking for or to ask a question, please contact us
Need help choosing the right career path? You’ll be given a series of activities related to a work environment. Your job is to slide the scale to the left or right depending on how much you like or dislike the given activity. You will receive recommendations based on your selections.
College open event
12 March 2019 17:00 - 19:30
Our open events are a great opportunity for you and your parents/guardians to see our amazing facilities,
and chat to staff and students about particular courses and college life in general.