Level 2 Plastering Apprenticeship
As a level 2 plastering apprentice you will be applying layers of plastering to walls, floors and ceilings. You will often complete dry lining projects during your career. You will require knowledge of this as a plasterer. You could potentially be working with commercial and domestic customers, other trades and site managers. You could be working on smaller domestic jobs, larger repair and restoration jobs.
Subjects you may cover:
• Able to locate, handle, store, load, transport and position plastering materials and components safely, minimising damage so they are ready for application and where applicable, in accordance with Working at Height regulations.
• Able to prepare background substrates for internal solid plastering, dry lining and external rendering.
• Able to identify and select appropriate plastering materials, modern pre-blended and loose plasters, renders and additives including compounds, fixings, performance plasterboards, reinforcements and beads to carry out the plastering work in line with specifications and manufactures instructions.
• For external rendering fix and form stops/expansion joints and bell casts to form drips for weathering.
• Apply one and two coat plastering systems to plain and window walls and ceilings, protecting the work area and making good when necessary.
• Understand types of traditional and modern materials; moving, handling and storage of them; their uses and characteristics, e g types, condition, strength and compatibility. Cost awareness and environmental considerations/waste awareness, e.g. surface water management and recycling. Chemical damp proofing installation, moisture effects and damage.
• Understand application methods for different types of mortars and finishes, including heritage and how to re-instate plastering systems post chemical damp-proof injection.
GCSEs in English and Maths at grade C/4 and above or equivalents
Need help choosing the right career path? You’ll be given a series of activities related to a work environment. Your job is to slide the scale to the left or right depending on how much you like or dislike the given activity. You will receive recommendations based on your selections.