Level 2 Bricklaying Apprenticeship
As a Level 2 Bricklaying apprentice you will be gaining hands on experience of laying bricks blocks and other types of building components. You will be working in mortar to construct, build and repair walls, foundations, partitions, arches and other structures. You may work on various different sites raining from large housing developments to smaller extension or restoration projects. You may be working alongside other trades whilst on the job.
Subjects you may cover:
• Health and safety – hazards, current regulations and legislation including COSHH/risk assessments and understanding the importance of method statements.
• Understanding codes of practice and safe working – including asbestos awareness and correct use of PPE.
• Understand different communication methods – how to communicate in a clear, articulate and appropriate manner; how to adapt communication style to different situations.
• Understand different types of construction methods, insulation consideration components, sustainability, facilities management, fire, moisture and air protection. Damp proof causes and the use of brick ties.
• Able to select materials and resources required to set out and build fireplaces and chimneys using materials such as hearths, plinths, flue liners, chimney pots and other modern methods.
• Able to set out and build brickwork, including complex arches and surrounding brickwork, curved on plan, concave and convex brickwork and battered brickwork.
• Able to determine quality and quantities of building material including mix ratios of mortar and concrete. Areas and volumes of materials and resources.
• Able to select appropriate tools, equipment and materials (e.g. trowel, levels, brick ties, DPC, insulation, mixers, lintels, etc) for use when setting out and erecting masonry walling. Maintain a clean working environment.
GCSE maths and English at a Grade C/4 or above, or equivalent.
If not already achieved, the apprentice will have to achieve Level 1 English and maths and take the test for level 2 prior to taking their end-point assessment.
Need help choosing the right career path? You’ll be given a series of activities related to a work environment. Your job is to slide the scale to the left or right depending on how much you like or dislike the given activity. You will receive recommendations based on your selections.