Level 2 Active IQ Exercise To Music (ETM)
What Will I study?
The Level 2 Exercise to Music course is allocated 20 CPD Points and is a very popular course. It is the first step to a career in the fitness industry. The course will allow entry on the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS) at Level 2 and the skills to work as a fitness instructor in the UK or overseas.
For those of you who want to deliver fun and exciting studio classes, the Exercise to Music Instructor (ETM) Certificate is a must. You will gain all the practical skills and confidence you need to plan and teach group exercise classes. You will learn how to add choreography to your routines allowing you to add creativity to your classes, meaning your customers are never bored of their routines.
Anatomy and physiology, including:
- The heart and circulatory system
- The respiratory system
- Structure and function of the skeleton
- Musculoskeletal system
- Postural and core stability
- The nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a group exercise to music session with apparently healthy adults – both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed
The course is offered using a blended learning approach where the learner will be expected to undertake at least six weeks of home study and then attend two full days of practical workshops and theory exams (usually Saturday and Sunday). On completion of the home study and two-day workshops the learner will then be required to attend a practical assessment. There will be a variety of dates to choose from for the practical assessment but it is advised to do this as soon after the attendance weekend as possible. Learners will need to bring a person (friend/family) who will act as their subject for the practical assessment.
Once enrolled on the course learners will receive all learning materials comprising of a full colour manual and access to the Active IQ e-learning portal to aid with home study. There will also be opportunities during the course for learners to book onto an e-learning revision session where they will be supported through their studies in the comfort of their own home by an experienced member of our team. All learners will need is access to the internet.
The course involves a variety of assessments which you will undertake either as home study or during attendance at the weekends during the practical workshops/assessment. The course consists of the following assessments:
2 x Worksheets
2 x Theory exams (50 multiple choice questions)
1 x Programme card and client interview
4 x Session plans
Practical observation delivering planned session to your subject
- This qualification provides progression to Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Instructing Exercise and Fitness, for learners who wish to develop and demonstrate occupational competence in group exercise to music instruction
- Alternatively, it provides progression to Level 3 qualifications in Pilates or Personal Training for learners who wish to further their knowledge and skills and become personal trainers working with specialist populations as well as the general population
- Students may also progress on to the Active IQ Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practice sports massage alongside fitness instructing in the health club environment
- Students may also broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing to Level 2 qualifications in instructing Circuits, Step and Aqua
Students will need to enrol on the course at least six weeks prior to the first attendance weekend to ensure sufficient time to complete their home study and revision. On enrolment they will need to choose one practical workshop weekend and one practical assessment date.
Level 2 Exercise to Music
Start Date – 22nd August 2018
29th/30th September 2018 (09:00-18:00)
13th/14th October 2018 (09:00-18:00)
22nd & 29th August – 5th, 12th, 19th & 26th September – 3rd October
No prior qualifications are required however, the course does require physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary. There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at Level 2.
Making your application
We will check your application to see if you meet the standard entry requirements for the course. If you do, you’ll receive an invitation via email to attend an interview with a Curriculum Tutor.
Fees and funding
If you are aged 16-18 and applying for a full-time programme, then you will not have to pay for your course. If you are aged 19+ then there may be a fee for your course.
From entry-level qualifications, through to degree-level and specialist professional courses there’s something here for students with little or no formal education right up to career high-flyers. Expect a vibrant environment where you can meet people from different backgrounds and cultures.
College open event
17 January 2019 17:00 - 19:30
Our open events are a great opportunity for you and your parents/guardians to see our amazing facilities,
and chat to staff and students about particular courses and college life in general.