HE Course Funding
Thinking of Studying for a University Level Qualification?
You can apply for loans to cover your tuition fees and help towards your living costs. The main types of finance available are Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grants & Bursaries.
Tuition Fee Loan
As a new full time student you are entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,000 to cover your fees (doesn’t depend on your household income), which you won’t have to pay back until you’re earning over £21,000 a year. The good news is that our fees are much lower than this.
Eligible students won’t have to pay any tuition fees up front*
- Your course must be in the UK and be a First Degree, a Foundation Degree, a Certificate of Higher Education, a Diploma in Higher Education (DipHE), a HNC, a HND or similar
- It must be your first higher education qualification.
- You can only apply if you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status`
- You normally live in England
- You’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course
You won’t start paying your loan back until you’ve left university and your income is more than £21,000 per year. See below for the repayment amounts in relation to your salary.
Yearly income (before tax) – Monthly repayment (regardless of loan amount)
£21,000 – £0
£25,000 – £30
£35,000 – £105
£45,000 – £180
£55,000 – £255
SUPPORT WITH LIVING COSTS
You can get up to £8,009 (London rate of loan) depending on your household income and where you’re living and studying, to help with living costs. The basic rate of Maintenance Loan (65% of the maximum rate) doesn’t depend on your household income and the remaining 35% does. The Maintenance Loan has to be paid back but not until you are earning over £21,000 a year.
Please note that From 25 March 2016 non UK EU students must have lived in the UK for 5 years before starting their HE course to be eligible for a Maintenance Loan.
Maintenance Grant (or Special Support Grant)
This is a grant of up to £3,387 to help with living costs which doesn’t have to be repaid. How much you can get depends on your household income:
Household income – Amount
£25,000 or less – Maximum £3,387 grant
£25,001 and £42,620 – partial grant, depending on household income
Over £42,620 – No grant
Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)
DSAs are available to students who have extra costs because of a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. DSAs don’t depend on household income. How much you get depends entirely on your circumstances. DSAs don’t have to be paid back.
The Childcare Grant helps with childcare costs if you have dependent children under 15 (under 17 if the child has special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare. You can get up to £155.24 a week for one child or up to £266.15 a week for more than one child, depending on your household income. This doesn’t have to be paid back.
Parents’ Learning Allowance
Parents’ Learning Allowance is to help with course-related costs if you have dependent children. You can get up to £1,573 a year depending on your income and the income of your dependants. This doesn’t normally have to be paid back.
Adult Dependants’ Grant
Adult Dependants’ Grant can help you if you have an adult who depends on you financially. You can get up to £2,757 a year depending on your income and the income of your dependants. This doesn’t have to be paid back.
All the information you need on eligibility and how to apply can be found here.