What is an Apprenticeship?
In its simplest form an apprenticeship is basically a job with a training package attached. The apprenticeship must last at least a year and work a minimum of 30 hours and a maximum of 40 hours a week. Apprentices receive on the job training in the workplace which allows them to develop their skills as well as contribute to the productivity of the company they are working for. They also attend college for contextual learning which combines practical skills with theory. The set of qualifications which make up an apprenticeship are currently known as frameworks. Frameworks are developed by the Sector Skills Councils with a view to providing training that meets both the needs of the employer as well as the sector. An apprenticeship framework consists of:
• A knowledge based qualification (Technical Certificate)
• A QCF competence based qualification in the chosen occupational area (NVQ)
• Functional Skills – English, Maths and sometimes ICT training
• Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Why hire an Apprentice?
We only need to look at the advances in technology over the last few years to realise that we all need to invest in our staff and employees to help stay abreast of these developments, Apprenticeships are the flexible option to provide you with the solution. We have many years of local experience helping select the right apprentices for the right employer and we are continuing to expand into new and exciting areas, including the development of a new ‘candidate selection’ service within the college. This service will enable you to dedicate your valuable time to actually running your business, while we find you the right candidate. We will advertise the position, go through CVs and responses and select up to 5 potential candidates. We can even help you interview and select the right candidate for you if you need us to. We look forward to working with you in the future.
• Apprentices are a great investment in your company’s future
• Programmes are designed around your company’s needs
• Productivity in the workplace is increased
• Recruitment costs are reduced
• Employers of apprentices aged 16-18 will only pay their salary as training costs are funded
• Nationally recognised qualifications are achieved
• Training is on and off the job
• Improves your bottom line
• Experienced industry trained professionals delivering our training
• Significantly reduces staff turnover in your company
Why become an Apprentice?
All apprenticeships are real jobs so all apprentices earn a salary. You must be paid at least the national minimum apprenticeship wage – and many employers pay significantly more. Apprentices should work for at least 30 hours per week and an apprenticeship takes between one and five years to complete, depending upon the level of apprenticeship and the industry sector. Most of the training is delivered in the workplace, so you will learn the skills you need to do the job well. The training is specifically tailored to ensure you develop the skills the employer wants, giving apprentices a real advantage in the workplace. This means that apprentices not only have better long term salary prospects but also have excellent progression opportunities, whether looking to study further or climb the ranks within the workplace.
Benefits of doing an Apprenticeship:
• Earn a salary
• Train in the skills employers want
• Have excellent progression opportunities, whether looking to study further or climb the ranks within the workplace
• Increase future earning potential
• Enjoy marked salary increases when you complete your training
• Learn at a pace suited to the individual with the support of a mentor
• Get paid holiday
Why Choose Coventry College?
• We have a wealth of local experience in successfully placing Apprentices with employers
• Our Apprenticeship success rates are above the national average and continue to improve• We support our local community and employers in developing people of all ages back into employment
• The training facilities at Coventry College are first rate and reflect those of a modern workplace. They include fully equipped construction, motor vehicle, hair and beauty workshops and salons
• We can support your selection process and help find the right candidate for your company
• We also offer a wealth of training courses specifically focussed on developing your business – everything from Microsoft applications to help your back office operations to run more effectively right through to specialist courses in Lean Management to ensure your company is as efficient as possible
• We can even offer your company the use of some of our modern facilities – boardrooms, meeting rooms and training facilities, on a commercial basis, for your staff meetings and training opportunities
• We are committed to Coventry and the local communities we serve